Thursday, September 18, 2008

Creeping out of the Cave

I creep out of the cave, and when I reach the top, there is a blinding light that keeps me from making out anything around me. Slowly but surely, my blurred vision starts to give way to shapes, and in these shapes I find many details. When my visioned has sharpened, and I have adjusted to the light of the sun, I am capable of perceiving shapes, colors, and textures. All of these things make the world I once new in the cave seem petty, incalculably mundane and unimportant. This new knowledge grants me with supreme enlightenment and a broader understanding of the universe.

I suppose there may be a point to the story (Platonic in essence) that I've drawn out here. Over the past two months or so I have managed to come out of a dark and repressive cave. One that has kept me for so long staring at shadows on the wall. Having been fixed in a position of supreme ignorance I leave myself with a question as to why I could not have seen the path out of the cave sooner. With my new knowledge and fortitude I leave the cave, stronger than before. I, in a general refusal to return, have found myself bearing a new relation to this world. The existential conundrum is over, and I am now free to be an agent that does not bind himself to the binds of experience. I have attained the rationality necessary of being a human in a human world. I can engage in that supreme act of creation given to men by fate, or God, or that ordering principle responsible for our being on this planet. I have retained my academic doubt (my agnosticism) while being able to pursue a new end in life not driven by the expectation and mediocrities of the world around me.

At this point, one might wonder what all this means. Well, it means I've opened up and have decided that awkwardness, and shyness are not the ways in which I need to approach my social life. Hopefully I can put that to the test this weekend.

No comments: